Thursday, October 18, 2007

Climate Change… What Climate Change?

Before everyone harpoons me for this title, I should say I believe global warming is real – good enough for a Nobel prize. I’m not sure some climate change wouldn’t have happened without people, but I certainly don’t believe people have no impact.

Having said that, I confess to wishing for seasonal climate change in Singapore. Precipitation doesn’t count. The temperature fluctuations look like an EKG reading at a cemetery. The word "season" has one meaning here, and it involves taste buds.

Yes, I knew this when we moved here, and the lack of temperature shifts doesn’t bother me that much – after all, if I needed a quick fix, I’d just duck into the nearest shopping mall for a/c. But I find the lack of seasons is toying with my sense of calendar. Is it October already? Are Thanksgiving and Christmas really right around the corner? Noticing that Australia is approaching Summer just messes with my head even more.

I’ll have to take my seasonal cues from something else; I hear from a local friend that Christmas decorations will be up in a week or so - maybe that will help.

4 comments:

jima said...

Joey -
Our term for this was "perpetual August". The Christmas decorations should be up soon - take a trip down to Orchard. :)

Administrator said...

Well, we can sympathize, if that helps. After a 105 degree August and a 95 degree September, we've settled into an 85 degree October. Also, since we're 17 inches below normal for rain, every single day has really felt the same. . .

venitha said...

Amazing how you link time's passage with the changing weather, innit? I'm very happy to be back to weather that I recognize as "fall" this year - frost on the ground, leaves piling up, nightfall earlier every day: it's perfect.

Anonymous said...

Thanks especially for your first paragraph, Joey. I almost fainted after reading the title! ; )